Saturday, March 20, 2010

How 'Bout Them Apples! Psh!

Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him,
on those who hope in his steadfast love,

that he may deliver their soul from death
and keep them alive in famine.

Our soul waits for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.

For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.

Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
even as we hope in you (Psalm 33:18-22).

The fear of God is one of many things you absolutely cannot understand without believing in Him.  But if you believe, it's pretty simple. God is a real person, complete with unprecedented prerogative to do whatever He wants; with or to whomever He wants, because it's his Word that keeps it all from collapsing (Col 1:16-17).

He's not disinterested. If He stopped paying attention, we would all vanish like a bad dream. Since you're still here, it means He loves you. :) God loves us and we have to fear and love Him in return.

Instead of trying to explain the fear of God, let me just pray for Him to impart it to you, and you should pray to. Here's a prayer you might try:
Father, release the spirit of the fear of God into my heart. Release the lightning and thunder from Your Throne to strike my heart (Rev 4:5) with Your majesty, that I might live in awe before You. Release Your presence and holy dread that makes me tremble before You. Unite my heart to your heart and Word and cause me to delight in the fear of God.

I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me (Jer 32:40).

The Lord…you shall hallow; let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread (Isa 8:13).

Unite my heart (to Your heart and Word) to fear Your name (Ps 86:11).

His delight is in the fear of the LORD ... (Isa 11:3).


From the Fellowship Prayer Guide by Mike Bickle.

If you try to serve God without fearing Him, you start down one path with two names; Legalism and Lawlessness. Legalism is the heresy that says what we do matters. Lawlessness is the heresy that says what we do doesn't matter.

God says, "Eh ... do you realize I'm in the room? It matters if I say so. How 'bout THEM apples! Psh!"

The truth is we are bound to obey the voice of God. Since He's a real person, it's discourteous and silly to try to act like we know exactly what He will always want everyone to do or not to do. It's also discourteous and silly to demand He address us personally when there's a book full of things He said and did we never bother to read (Luke 24:25-27). Maybe the fear of God is the opposite of presumption. I have to say, presumption toward the God I know terrifies me, and I see it everwhere.

Maybe we should be slower to explain God, and quicker to introduce people to Him (Prov 23:1-2).

No comments:

Post a Comment